Problem at Work

Help for Union workers

As a union member in British Columbia you have rights under your collective agreement and a union to represent you at your workplace. If you are having a problem at work please contact your local union for assistance. The BCFED cannot respond to requests or questions concerning pensions, benefits, grievances, union issues or other matters that must be addressed by your local or national unions.

Help for Non-Union workers

EARN is the Employee Action and Rights Network. It’s here to help you get advice about being employed in BC, inform you of your rights as a worker, and learn about others and their experiences. Sometimes, it is difficult to get what you fairly deserve at work. Most of the time, people are not even sure what they are legally entitled to.

If you have a question about a problem at work CLICK HERE.

Learn more about EARN at

Health and Safety Rights

You have a right to be safe on the job. BC’s unions have led the fight for safe workplaces and decent compensation for workers who are injured or become ill on the job. Workers in BC have four fundamental legal rights that ensure their health and safety. It is essential that workers know about their rights and that they are prepared to use them.

  1. The right to know about the dangers in the workplace.
  2. The right to participate in workplace health and safety activities through the Joint Health & Safety Committee or worker representative.
  3. The right to refuse unsafe work.
  4. The right to no discrimination.

OH&S Regulation, Section 3.12, Right to Refuse Unsafe Work

3.12 Procedure for refusal

A person must not carry out or cause to be carried out any work process or operate or cause to be operated any tool, appliance or equipment if that person has reasonable cause to believe that to do so would create an undue hazard to the health and safety of any person.